In Richard Foster’s book of discipline he divides discipline into three parts: Inward, Outward, and Corporate discipline. He places simplicity under the category of the Outward Disciplines. Here are his nine ways to order our world so that we can create simplicity in our life.
- First, buy things for their usefulness rather than their status
- Second, reject anything that is producing an addiction in you.
- Third, develop a habit of giving things away.
- Fourth, refuse to be propagandized by the custodians of modern gadgetry.
- Fifth, learn to enjoy things without owning them.
- Sixth, develop a deeper appreciation for the creation.
- Seventh, look at a healthy skepticism at all “buy now, pay later” schemes.
- Eighth, obey Jesus’ instructions about plain, honest speech.
- Ninth, reject anything that will breed the oppression of others.
- Tenth, shun whatever would distract you from you main goal: “Seek first the kingdom of God.”