How shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? (Hebrews 2:3)
Is there a sense of greatness in your mind about your salvation? Or do you neglect it?
Do you respond to the greatness of your salvation? Or do you treat it the way you treat your last will and testament, or the title to your car, or the deed on your house? You signed it once and it is in a file drawer somewhere, but it is not a really great thing in your mind. You rarely think about it. It has no daily effect on you. Basically, you neglect it.
But when you neglect your great salvation, what are you really neglecting? Here’s what he is saying when he says, “Don’t neglect your great salvation!”
- Don’t neglect being loved by God.
- Don’t neglect being forgiven and accepted and protected and strengthened and guided by almighty God.
- Don’t neglect the sacrifice of Christ’s life on the cross.
- Don’t neglect the free gift of righteousness imputed by faith.
- Don’t neglect the removal of God’s wrath and the reconciled smile of God.
- Don’t neglect the indwelling Holy Spirit and the fellowship and friendship of the living Christ.
- Don’t neglect the radiance of God’s glory in the face of Jesus.
- Don’t neglect the free access to the throne of grace.
- Don’t neglect the inexhaustible treasure of God’s promises.
This is indeed a great salvation. Neglecting it is very evil. Don’t neglect so great a salvation. Because if you do, will there be an escape from judgment? That’s what the writer asks: “How shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?”
So, being a Christian is a very serious business — not a sour business, but a serious business. We should be blood-earnest about being happy in our great salvation.
We will not be deflected by this world into the fleeting and suicidal pleasures of sin. We will not neglect our eternal joy in God — which is what the goal of this salvation is. We will gouge out our eyes rather than be lured away from such a great salvation.
From “Spoken, Confirmed, Witnessed: a Great Salvation”
Categories: Articole de interes general
Leave a Reply